Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Not a Hallmark moment



Today is Monkey’s last family visit before Mother’s Day. It is also her last family visit before court, at which her mother will possibly have her rights terminated. I’m expecting it to be emotional. Monkey’s mama is mentally ill. She’s not abusive, not intentionally neglectful. She just doesn’t quite have the capability to be a mama to her children, even though she wants to be more than anything. And she lack the support network that would make that possible. I wanted to commemorate Mother’s Day somehow, but struggled to figure out how. Eventually I settled for a very generic Mother’s Day card, which I signed with Monkey’s handprints and footprints. I’ll pick up some flowers on the way to the visit, too. Hallmark definitely doesn’t make a card for this situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment