Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Changes


It looks like a dream job might be falling into my lap in the next few weeks. It would be part-time, kind of an on-call job. I’m so torn. I never planned to stay home after I finished grad school last year. But SuperD needed me home, then we got Monkey and I LOVED being home with her. I still do. In seven months, she’s only had been left with one person, for about 5 hours, other than hubby and I. And at visits, of course, and that was a hot mess for a long time. I really don't love the idea of not being home with her, but professionally it would be silly not take this job.

I would have to put SuperD into a full-time program, I think I don’t think he could handle going to daycare some days and other days being home. He needs the structure and consistency. And I’m not clear about how to pay for it – if I was working full-time, DHS would pay for daycare. But this is a pretty part-time gig, so I suspect I’d be paying for it out of the stipends, which is fine.

I suppose I should actually apply for the job before I have a total childcare freakout, huh?

2 comments:

  1. Where I am, foster kids can qualify for daycare assistance based on the need for socialization and structure, not just because both parents work. You might check into that as a justification. My 3 year old, now adopted son, started daycare 4 days a week (M-Th) when his second baby sister moved in. He is constant motion and very stubborn. He is thriving in the daycare setting and doing very well. He is also tired enough to sleep a little better at night. We are having some major separation anxiety issues, but he adjusts in 2-5 minutes after I leave in the morning. You might be surprised with how SuperD will do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had that here! Here, both parents have to be working full time. They MIGHT cover it for part time work, but it's not guaranteed. When I was a full time student and intern, I had to really push to get daycare paid for. I think you're right, though, that SuperD does need the socialization. I don't think being home with just me all summer is best for him!

      Delete