Thursday, July 11, 2013

The name game


This morning when I went to get SuperD out of bed, he came running out of his room smiling and exclaimed, “mommy!” This is the first time he’s ever called me that intentionally, though he refers to me as mom to other people. Some things have shifted in his case this week and it is looking more and more like adoption is going to be the likely outcome.

I’m thinking it might be time to start referring to ourselves as mom and dad to him? As in, “go as your dad” instead of “go ask (hubby’s first name).” We never discourage him from calling us mom and dad to other people, and if he asks, we tell him we’re the mom and dad in our home. But if he is imitating calling us that, and it looks like we are going to be his forever parents, I think I’m ready to make mom and dad our official names.

No comments:

Post a Comment