Monday, September 23, 2013

Diagnostic pushback


I’m starting to think SuperD has what is now being called Disinhibited Social Engagement Disorder (DSED), formerly Reactive Attachment Disorder, Disinhibited type. I briefly brought it up with his therapist today, just mentioning that I think he meets the criteria. She immediately pushed back and told me that that diagnosis applies to the kind of kids who would just go off with a strange family at a mall without looking back and that she really doesn't think SuperD meets the criteria. While she was explaining this to me, SuperD had wandered across the waiting room and was asking a stranger to read a book to him…

I’m thinking we’ll need to find a new therapist post-adoption, much as I like this one. She’s just not getting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment